Saturday, May 7, 2016

Spring Cleaning/Organizing

First off, I just want to say that my new embroidery works beautifully.  However, the operator has a thing or two to learn.  I have so far made one patch for my ham radio operator hubby.  It is his call and we sewed it to a cap.  Here it is:

As you can see, it is a bit wavy so next time I'll use a sturdier fabric and stabilizer.

Next, I have been busy busy busy trying to wrangle my fabric into some sort of organization.  My sewing room looked like a tornado had blown through.  It had gotten so bad that I didn't even want to go in there to sew; I was afraid I'd trip over something.  Now, after working on it for several days, it just looks like a whirlwind hit it. I still have a way to go, but I'm making headway.  My fabric cabinet has been cleaned out, fabric sorted, and everything put back in a somewhat neat and, for me anyway, understandable order.  Here's the cabinet now:


The sliver of stuff you see on top is junk we have stored up there that have nothing to do with sewing. I can't reach up there anyway.  Here's a breakdown of what is in there: 

Top shelf:  2 wire baskets holding 2 1/2" strips, 4 wire baskets holding fat quarters (sorted by color)
Second shelf:  On the left is tan/brown and black/white yardage; on the right in the blue baskets are 10" squares on the bottom and 5" squares on top.  There are a few fat quarter bundles in there too simply because they wouldn't fit in the wire baskets on top.  Next to them are the green/aqua yardage.
Third shelf:  Yellow/orange/gold yardage and red/pink yardage on the left; purples and blues on the right.
Bottom:  The shoebox sized storage bins hold my little bits of fabric to be used for paper piecing (sorted by color of course. On the right are multi-colored print yardage and wide backing fabric.

Now I need to tackle the closet!!!!